- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 802-753-0369
- Location: Florida, USA
- Homepage: kevinfiol.com
- Portfolio: github.com/kevinfiol
09/2021 - Present • Software Engineer - Circulo Health
- Responsible for creating React applications for Olive Helps, an Electron-based desktop application by Circulo's sister company that assists in automating tasks for over 100 healthcare providers. The applications use screen-reading, filesystem, browser, and keyboard listener APIs to be context-aware of user activities and provide information based on actions. As a Software Engineer, I was also responsible for building our underlying APIs, using Next.js, AWS Lambda, and Supabase. As an effort to increase the portability of our backends, I introduced a database migration workflow to our main API monorepo, and contributed a development script upgrade that sped up our TypeScript codebase development speeds by 50%.
03/2019 - 09/2021 • Full-Stack Developer - ICF
- Lead Front-End Developer on multiple government agency projects, including opa.hhs.gov, researchconnections.org, and rebuild.nc.gov. I served as the initial lead for NIH.gov's COVID-19 Dashboard, where I was responsible for choosing the tech stack and collaborating with NIH researchers to create accurate data visualizations. As a Full-Stack Engineer, I led the migration of the HHS.gov Professional Development Tool from Symfony 2 to Symfony 3, replacing deprecated packages, and writing unit tests to ensure full compatibility. I was also responsible for creating a custom APA7 Citation Generator as part of researchconnections.org, working closely with ICF's librarian specialists to ensure accuracy across citation exports. During my last year, I partook in interviewing job candidates and served as an Associate Manager, mentoring and organizing weekly 1-on-1s with Junior Engineers. Lastly, I participated in giving presentations to audiences of up to 40 other internal engineers on topics such as Cypress Testing Framework, React, and Mithril.js.
03/2017 - 03/2019 • Information Technology Specialist - New York State Education Department
- Developer on small team working on data.nysed.gov, a public-facing data-heavy site housing report card data for all public school districts of New York State. Led effort in transitioning the legacy codebase from HTML templates using rudimentary string-concatenation to the Twig-templating library, improving code maintainability and site rendering speeds by <20%. Lead on internal React-based search tool, and its background API written with then-new PHP7 features using Slim Framework, Redis, and Symfony Middleware. Also responsible for interviewing potential new-hires, and mentoring other developers.
09/2016 - 02/2017 • Software Developer - Cendyn
- One of four developers responsible for development and launch of the Red Lion Hotels "Hello Rewards" program. Responsibilities included layout and design implementation using Bootstrap, Select2, and jQuery, as well as API implementation using an ASP.NET 4 backend and MSSQL. Co-ordinated with one other developer to improve internal documentation on C# Coding Conventions.
12/2014 - 02/2016 • Software Developer - MatrixCare
- Transitioned from Junior Engineer to one of two leads on the AOD Software Point of Sale platform. Specialized in developing native desktop applications for Microsoft Windows using the Magic XPA Development Kit. Worked with Senior Engineers in developing new features for our long-term care software suite, resolving bugfixes, communicating with our internal support team, and mentoring new staff.
LÖVELY2D • LÖVE2D Game Engine plugin for Sublime Text 4. Provides API information, autocomplete, and function signature helpers to aid in development.
isitdrmfree.com • A search tool for finding digital games that are available free of Digital-Rights Management restrictions.
Playnite Library Export • A utility to allow users to export their libraries from multiple services such as Steam, EA Origin, Ubisoft Connect to a single JSON file on Github Gists.
Bubo RSS Reader (Fork) • An RSS Reader deployed as a mobile-responsive, lightweight, static site using Github Actions. Updated hourly at kevinfiol.com/reader.
Fireblog • A full blogging application powered by Google Firebase and Firestore, with real-time page updates without page reloading, built as a single-page application.
Servbot • A static site server for local web development with support for single-page applications and a manual reload feature.
Gitter.im Search • A better search utility for Gitter-based chatrooms.
- Node.js, Rollup, ESbuild, Webpack, Gulp, Express, Next.js
- React, Redux, Svelte, Mithril.js, SWR, Elm Architecture
- HTML/CSS, Flexbox, CSS Grid
- MySQL, MariaDB, SQLite, Postgres, Doctrine, Knex, Objection.js, Postgres.js
- AWS CodeCommit, AWS Lambda, Linux, Docker, Git Flow
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science • 2014
- Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL
Bachelor of Arts in English Literature • 2014
- Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL